You’ll love this zippered top backpack and tote for everyday use.
They both have a front pocket for easy access to smaller items and a flat base.
A divided interior pocket keeps everything inside organized.
The backpack has adjustable straps and fits tablets, small laptops, and/or notebooks!
Buckthorn Tote is perfect for projects on the go.
Backpack: front exterior pocket, large interior pocket,
zip top closure to keep your important belonging secure
Tote: front exterior pocket, large interior pocket,
zip top closure, grab and go handles,
perfect for projects, anything from knitting to embroidery to paper piecing and more!
Skill Level: Intermediate
Approx. Finished Dimensions:
- Backpack Approx. Finished Dimensions: 13”/33 cm wide by 5 ½”/14 cm deep (measured at oval base), 14”/35.6 cm tall
- Tote Approx. Finished Dimensions: 10 ½”/26.7 cm wide by 6 ½”/16.5 cm deep (measured at oval base), 11 ½”/29.2 cm tall
Requirements based on 44”/1.1 m-wide fabric.
*Tote requirements are in square brackets [ ]*
- ¾ yard/.7 m [2/3 yard/ .6 m] Exterior Fabric
- 1 yard/.91 m [1 yard/.91 m] Lining Fabric
- 1 ½ yards/1.3 m [1 1/3 yards/1.21 m] Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101-20”/51 cm-wide)
- ½ yard/.45 m [½ yard/.45 m] Fusible Fleece Interfacing or foam (Pellon 987-F - 44”/1.1)
- (1) 16"/40.6cm [14"/35.6cm] handbag zipper for top closure (must be 1 ¼”/3.18 cm wide)
FOR BACKPACK: 4 yards/3.7 m of1.5"/3.8cm wide cotton webbing
FOR TOTE: [2 yards/1.9 m of 1"/2.5cm wide cotton webbing]
OR substitute ¾ yard/.7 m [¼ yard/ .25 m] accent fabric (quilting cotton weight) and additional 1 ½ yards/1.3 m [1/3 yards/.3 m] of fusible woven interfacing for making your own straps/handles (instructions included)
- For Backpack only: (2) 1 ½”/3.8 cm-wide Triangle Rings (can substitute two 1 ½”/3.8 cm-wide d-rings), (2) 1 ½”/3.8 cm-wide Swivel Snaps, and (2) 1 ½”/3.8 cm-wide Strap Sliders
Recommended Fabrics: Canvas or waxed canvas* (7-10 oz.) for exterior fabric
quilting cotton for lining**. Please note:
* if using waxed canvas (7-10 oz.) for exterior, OMIT fusible fleece/foam and do not interface the exterior fabric pieces. The heavier the waxed canvas, the more difficult it makes this particular project to sew.
**if using canvas (8-10 oz.) for lining, reduce fusible woven interfacing requirement to ½ yard/.45 m total for backpack (Strap Reinforcement Strip & Front Pocket pieces), OMIT for tote.
Additional supplies + tools: thread, water-soluble pen/tailor’s chalk, cutting mat, gridded ruler, rotary cutter, size 14 or 16 denim or Microtex needle, pinking shears