Merchant & Mills : The Factotum Bag Pattern
A neat cross body bag, small but copious. Factotum has been designed to hold all your daily essentials. Fully lined, with two front pockets and a zipped closure. You can use leather or webbing for your strap.
Skill level: Intermediate
- Main: oilskin, dry oilskin, mid-heavy weight cotton canvas or drill, mid weight denim (8-14oz).
- Lining: Merchant & Mills recommends their 5oz organic dry oilskin, half panama cotton, or barrier lining
- View 1: Leather strap 2.5cm (1") x 92cm, OR
View 2: Webbing 2.5cm (1") x 98cm
- 4 x 9mm Rivets
- 2 x 2.5cm (1") or 1.25" Loops/Rectangle Rings *
- 1 x 30cm Zipper
* There are two options for the rectangle rings: The 1″ ones offer a snug fit and the 1.25″ ones allow for a bit more movement, it’s a personal preference. If you are using leather go for the 1.25″.
Please note: The size of the rectangle rings depends on the width of your webbing/leather strap.
If using a different width of webbing/leather, please ensure you purchase the corresponding ring size. For example, our webbing is 1.25" wide and you would pair it with the 1.25" rectangle rings. You may choose to widen the pattern piece that attaches to the ring as well.
Green bag : Flax Dry Oilskin in Archive Olive with a natural leather strap.
Blue bag : Navy Dry Oilskin with a split cowhide leather strap.
Tan bag : Olive Dry Oilskin, with 50z Orange as the lining, tan 30mm webbing.
Suggestion: When inserting the rivets we recommend using a very solid surface like a cement floor so there is no movement.
All seam allowances are 1cm unless stated otherwise and are included in the pattern.