*Please note that this pattern has been retired from the Merchant & Mills printed pattern collection and we will be unable to replenish our stock.
This is your LAST chance to add this piece and styling to your collection.
The Heroine jeans are fitted to the waist with a straight, generous leg and a healthy turn up.
Perfectly matched with a GYO top or Camber Tee.
It is advisable to make a toile first, to adjust the fit if needed but secondly to familiarise with the pattern instructions.
Merchant & Mills has not used a traditional run and fell jeans seam, instead instructions are to topstitch the seam, which is easier to achieve on a domestic machine.
Skill Level: Experienced but achievable if you take it step by step!
Sizes: This is a multi-size paper pattern in an envelope, including sizes 6 – 18.
*See images for more sizing information and fabric requirements.
Suggested Fabrics: 8 – 12.5oz non stretch denim (up to 14oz with a heavy duty machine.)
- A heavy duty thread rather than a topstitch thread gives a more authentic look to the topstitching and is easier to use. Use a matching standard ‘sew all’ thread in the bobbin.
- Use standard ‘sew all’ thread for construction seams.
- 17.5cm/7″ metal jeans zip
- 1 x button approx 18mm
- Jeans needle
- Large eye sewing needle
- Plain cotton fabric for pocket bags
- Matching thread
- Heavy duty contrast thread/top stitching thread
- Matching standard contrast thread (to use in bobbin)
A note about pre washing your denim:
Pre washing your denim before sewing is suggested.
Putting a large piece of medium-heavy weight denim into the washing machine can sometimes lead to white creases in the denim, this is because it is a stiff fabric so it doesn’t have room to move around. Do the following to help prevent this:
- Wash your denim on its own for the first wash. You don’t need to use detergent if you don’t want to.
- Wet the fabric first before putting it into the drum.
- If you can break up your denim fabric into half this will help. Or if you have your pattern already you may be able to break it into smaller parts by looking at the lay plan – leave some wiggle room!
- For the first wash use a delicate 30 degree cycle with a low spin.
- If any white creases develop ironing whilst still damp will help.
- Do not tumble dry.
Garment Care: When you have made the jeans it is recommended to wash them inside out.
1.5cm seam allowance is included in the pattern unless otherwise stated.