Merchant & Mills : The Francine Top & Dress Pattern
*Please note that this pattern has been retired from the Merchant & Mills printed pattern collection and we will be unable to replenish our stock.
This is your LAST chance to add this piece and styling to your collection.
Inspired by the fishermen of Brittany this simple top or dress could become a wardrobe staple.
Slim fitted top or A-line dress with an inside breast pocket and pockets in the side seams.
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Sizes: This is a multi-size paper pattern in an envelope, including sizes 6 – 18.
*See images for more sizing information and fabric requirements.
Suggested Fabrics: 5 – 10oz non stretch denim, cotton chambray, cotton weaves, linen and corduroy.
- Matching thread
- Contrast thread
- 1 x button approx 15mm
1.5cm seam allowance is included in the pattern unless otherwise stated.
On piece 5, the numbers are printed the wrong way round, for example size 8 should say size 16.
At step 8 it should say ‘snip into the neck’ to match illustration.
The pocket should always be on the left hand side of garment.
A note about pre washing your denim if you are going to use a mid-heavy denim for your Francine:
Pre-washing your denim before sewing is recomended.
Putting a large piece of medium-heavy weight denim into the washing machine can sometimes lead to white creases in the denim, this is because it is a stiff fabric so it doesn’t have room to move around.
We recommend doing the following to help prevent this:
- Wash your denim on its own for the first wash. You don’t need to use detergent if you don’t want to.
- Wet the fabric first before putting it into the drum.
- If you can break up your denim fabric into half this will help. Or if you have your pattern already you may be able to break it into smaller parts by looking at the lay plan – leave some wiggle room!
- For the first wash use a delicate 30 degree cycle with a low spin.
- If any white creases develop ironing whilst still damp will help.
- Do not tumble dry.